Note* - In researching other sources, my topic took on a bit
of a different direction than I had originally planned, and I found sources
that I thought would be much more useful than the source which I had annotated
for the annotated bibliography draft. I may not even incorporate that source
into my case study. Thus, this is a different source than the one that I used
for the draft.
What You Need To Know About Internet
Addiction. Dir. TEDxTalks. Perf. Dr. Kimberly Young.TEDxTalks. TED Conferences, LLC, 7 Jan. 2015. Web. 22 Sept. 2015.
Dr. Kimberly
Young is a pioneer in the study of internet addiction, having written some of
the first books about the case. In early 2015, Young gave a TED talk about the
issue, urging not only the millennial generation – but people of all ages to ‘Disconnect
to Reconnect’. Young’s most stressed idea is that families need to make time to
spend with each other without engaging in their technological devices. It’s not
just teenagers or parents. All human beings need to make an effort to connect
on a more emotional, meaningful level with each other, and the internet is a significant
distractor. Young uses a series of extreme anecdotes to exemplify the
consequences of internet addiction, and level of detachment from reality that
is associated with it. In one instance, she speaks of a parent who was too
engaged in her ‘Candy Crush’ game to remember to pick up her child from school. As a solution to these types of
problems, Young simply offers the idea that we should more carefully monitor
the amount of time we spend online, and the content which we choose to engage
in. However, it is interesting to me that Young’s suggestions fully rely on the
addict’s own strength and will to monitor their problem and to treat themselves.
This talk can be effectively incorporated into my case study as an exhibit
source to demonstrate that internet addiction is a genuine issue that
interferes with the full potential that humans have to engage in meaningful,
emotional relationships. My case has a strong focus on the internet’s user’s
preferences for human social interaction vs. online interaction and I think
that Young’s talk exhibits the apparent trend in over-indulging in online
interactions, while often taking human ones for granted. Young’s facts, ideas,
and anecdotes strongly support this case.
No comments:
Post a Comment