Grzych, Mike. "The Social Contract, the Internet, and
You." Web log post. Life Examinations. N.p., 8 Nov. 2010. Web. 15 Sept.
2015.
<https://lifeexaminations.wordpress.com/2010/11/08/the-social-contract-the-internet-and-you/>.
This blog post is about how a Locke like state of nature
exists on the internet in the form of chat rooms, game servers, forums, and
collaborative blogs. The author argues that in the digital state of nature, our
property is our feelings and self-esteem. The author also argues that the Terms
of Services box that most major websites have is a function of protection of
property, although he does not explain why or how people can choose to not
consent to the use of a website, and what that really means. This source is a
blog post on Wordpress, which makes it not the most reliable of sources, but
adds an element of interest to this idea of our space and actions on the
interest. After all, won’t I be producing a final project similar to this blog
post? This source raises questions about internet bullying, which is a
component of the social contract theory that I didn’t previously consider. Near
the end of the blog post, the author mentions the fact that this comparison is
somewhat of an extrapolation, and that “the logistics and limitations of user
interaction on the internet” makes it impossible to draw a perfect translation.
I am not exactly sure what this means, but I’m interested by it. I think my
next source to explore will be about Locke and his specific social contract
theory.
No comments:
Post a Comment